Sunday, September 29, 2013

POTENTIAL STORM SYSTEM LATER THIS WEEK AND WEEKEND

 While other people are going gung-ho on winter outlooks.. I decided I would post something on the upcoming storm system.

Take a look at the 12z GFS and 12z ECMWF: They are coming into agreement on a rather large trough pivoting into the Midwest and amplifying by late this week and early weekend. A strong cold front will plow through the Midwest [regardless of how amplified the surface reflection becomes], causing sharp temperature drops across the front. This could quite possibly be the first major storm system of the season if everything pans out correctly. So far, the strength of the upper level wave and the surface low has been increasing between runs, so I wouldn't doubt that we see at least a slight similar trend to continue. Even without an amplified surface trough, both models are still predicting a strong cold front to move through the Midwest and eventually the East.
The key to predicting this system will most likely be dependent upon which model is over-developing/under-developing the system. At this time, I would say that a consensus of both the 12z GFS and 12z ECMWF with some uncertainty is our best bet. I think we should keep an eye on this system.
12z GFS 850 TEMP map
12z GFS 500 REL. VORTICITY



12z ECMWF


No comments:

Post a Comment